Before going into details about Coconut oil for psoriasis, we have to know first about Psoriasis and coconut oil.
- 1 What is Psoriasis?
- 2 What is Coconut oil?
- 3 How Coconut Oil Works for Psoriasis
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a scaly, flaky thick lesion on the skin, especially on elbow, neck, scalp due to excessive proliferation of skin cells. It is a chronic disease feel itchy, painful and burn. Body’s white blood cell of lymphocyte does this psoriasis. It gives faulty instruction to grow new skin cells within a very short time. Hence, it creates patches on the skin.
It is a non contagious disease. In severe case, psoriasis causes bleeding. It’s unbearable characteristics deplete quality of life.
5 types of Psoriasis
- Plaque Psoriasis: Most common psoriasis characterized by whitish silver patches.
- Guttate psoriasis: Very common among children and it characterized by pink spots.
- Pustular psoriasis: Pus-filled psoriasis, mostly seen among adult feels red and inflamed.
- Inverse psoriasis: This psoriasis specially attack on armpit, breast, groin i.e skin folded areas.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis: It covers a large area of the body.
3 General Treatment Ways of Psoriasis
- By rectifying immune system
- By controlling dry, itchy and patchy skin
- By controlling psoriasis trigger such as bacteria, allergens.
What is Coconut oil?
Coconut oil is an oil collected from cold-pressed kernel or meat of coconut palm (Cocos nucifera), used both for cooking and cosmetic purpose..
Coconut oil used on the skin is unrefined oil, collected from fresh coconut fruits. Here, neither high temperature is used nor deodorization is applied like refined coconut oil. Hence, the fragrance and color remain natural.
The unique feature of coconut oil, which makes it a different oil is moisturizing capacity. It reduces water loss and makes body hydrated. Moreover, it’s fatty acid property helps to act as coconut oil for skin care. Lauric acid is one of fatty acids helps to reduce inflammation, fungus, virus and other harmful microbes.
Coconut Oil Using General Tips:
- You can use this oil in combination with aloe vera or other essential oils to get skin softening benefits.
- Choose those lotions and ointment which are rich with coconut oil.
- Use this oil immediately after steam bath. Apply 2 to 3 times daily to get best result.
How Coconut Oil Works for Psoriasis
Coconut oil benefits for psoriasis:
- Penetrates to Skin Cells: Coconut oil contains a bunch of fatty acids. On the other hand, human cell also contains a similar type so fatty acids it its outer layer. Hence, coconut oil posses excellent absorbing capabilities and prevents dry, itchy, patchy skin.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Coconut oil reduces inflammatory symptoms such as pain, redness, irritation.
- Combat Free Radicals: There is an antioxidant called Kinetin inside coconut oil. It prevents skin from free radical damage and promote cell division of skin.
- Preventing or Treating Infections: Monoglyceride is antiseptic agent, which acts against bacteria, virus and fungus. Coconut oil contains monoglyceride to prevent infections.
Is coconut oil works for psoriasis:
We have already discussed that, psoriasis is caused by the body’s immune system. This is why, it has no specific treatment. However, in order to get relief from symptoms we can use coconut oil. Normally, the symptoms are dry skin related. This includes scaly and patchy skin. It is an excellent moisturizer and can be used coconut oil for psoriasis. It keeps skin hydrated for a long time and prevents skin from dryness by reducing water loss from the body.
Verdict on using coconut oil for psoriasis:
Is coconut oil good or bad for psoriasis? Solely coconut oil is not effective to treat psoriasis because it only provides moisturizing effects. Other treatments should be added with coconut oil. Moreover, sometimes overuse of coconut oil may cause allergic reaction such as itching, redness, hotness in the affected site. So, prior to use it check your skin whether it is allergic or not.
How to use Coconut Oil for Psoriasis?
You have to follow proper application method to use coconut oil for psoriasis.
Method-1 : Coconut oil Alone
- Take sufficient amount of coconut oil.
- Then place it in a warm water bowl
- Mix it properly
- Apply on the psoriasis affected area
- Leave coconut oil on face overnight and allow it to dry automatically
- Continue this practice for 2-3 times a day.
Method-2 : Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil
Coconut oil and tea tree oil combination is especially effective for scalp psoriasis. Both oils contain antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
- Mix 5-10 drops of tea tree oil with 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Stir properly and apply on the scalp
- Leave it for the whole night
- Do shampoo in the morning with mild warm water to wash it
- Repeat this every day
Method-3 : Coconut Oil with Aloe Vera
Coconut oil and aloe vera both are good moisturizers. This combination penetrates skin effectively.
- Blend ½ cup of virgin coconut oil and ⅓ cup of fresh aloe vera gel
- Add 3 drops each of peppermint oil, rose oil and lavender oil & stir well
- Enclosed this mixture in a airtight container
- Keep this container in a dark place for few hours
- Apply on affected areas for whole night or few hours
- Finally, wash with lukewarm water
Method 4 : Coconut Oil with Turmeric
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial property. So, it is best suited with coconut oil to alleviate skin inflammation, rash, itching caused by psoriasis.
- Mix in 4:1 ratio of coconut oil and turmeric respectively.
- Heat them for a better absorption
- Apply on scalp and keep it for two hours
- Then wash with water thoroughly
- Repeat it every day to get the best result.
Method 4 : Coconut Oil with Sweet Honey Mix
Honey is popularly known as anti-inflammatory agent. It can be used as Coconut oil for psoriasis. It locks water in the skin area and removes dry, scaly and patchy skin.
- Mix coconut and sweet honey in ratio 2:1
- Stir all ingredients thoroughly in a bowl
- Massage into affected areas such as knee, elbow, neck. (Avoid applying to scalp unless you have short hair)
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes
- Wash with lukewarm water
Some precautions of coconut oil
- Choose cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
- During coconut oil treatment avoid skin care products which are allergic for you.
- Avoid scratches on affected areas to avoid deterioration.
- Try to retain moisture in your body and skin. This is why, drink lots of water. It hydrates skin.
It is a good natural remedy to get relief from psoriasis. Try mentioning coconut oil for psoriasis method to diminish symptoms. However, prior to take any alternative treatments, it is required to talk with a doctor.